Dawson Gallery

 
 

A well-known Baltimore landscape painter, specializing in views of the Eastern Shore, Clark S. Marshall was born in Talbot County, Maryland. His artistic education included study at the Maryland Institute, College of Art and at the Julian Academy in Paris.


The artist exhibited locally, including one-man shows at the Peabody Institute in 1918 and the Baltimore Museum of Art in 1932, and at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.


An early biographer commented that he was especially expert at rendering twilight and moonlight scenes, yet it was the use of color that would make his work so attractive.


By 1918, although Marshall continued to paint, he had become a minister of the Methodist Church, taking charge of congregations in Cecil and Caroline Counties. His last assignment was in Clayton, Delaware, where his death occurred on December 27, 1944.


A retrospective exhibition of 37 paintings by the artist was held in 1957 at the Maryland Historical Society.


Source:

Edward Bentley

Clark Summers Marshall

American 1861-1944

Maryland Pond